Tuesday 1 December 2015

Technical evaluation

The technical side of the project is a side I wanted to concentrate most in as I was slightly nervous as I've never done it before and I'm not confident with numbers so I suppose I worried myself before it stared. After doing my first turn with creating the moulds I was a lot more confident with the correct terminology and processes I found out aspects about silicone that I didn't know previously such as it doesn't work with garlic or alo Vera. I struggled  most on  getting equal amounts of the silicone A and B have been hard as it was very easy to go slightly over and knowing how much silicone you need for your piece as I had waste products Learning the process of making silicone moulds  was dificult as there was so many aspects that you have to remember and get exactly right as the first time we did it with the wounds I did make mistakes as I moved my mould as it was setting it did set a little wonky and I learnt while making the mixtures you have to work really quickly as they set and won't work for you. I over came the issue of it being slightly wonky by propping it up with sticks I did have to start the process again as I didn't work quickly enough and the mixture set before I could pour it in , although in an ideal world  I wouldn't had made any mistakes but you don't learn from not making mistakes, it really helped doing the wounds first as my confidence for the hybrid was much better and I realised that having my notes on me was crucial and what I made mistakes on such as forgetting to spray petrolease didn't happen as I could refer to my notes and I remembered from before. Beeing clean and organised was another aspect I learnt from the wounds as I didn't have all my equiptment ready with my wounds that's why I ran out of time to pour my mixture so with my hybrid I made sure I was prepared with cling film over my surface and everything that I needed was there which made it a lot easier and Less stressful. I found out that I really enjoy sculpting I find it really therapeutic and loved seeing the end result although I did have a lesson that my mould does need to be flat so the silicone doesn't go underneath it was annoying at first as I really loved my original flower but I carried on re making it and was happy with the over all result. The application of the silicone took awhile and concentration to blend in the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment